The answer is, fairly easily. Alignment doesn't mean you need to buy fancy software or get more resources, it just means reconsidering the simple things:
- Develop shared goals: if both groups share similar goals, working together is natural.
- Sustain regular communication: communication between the groups should be regular and frank - and it's equally important to share what's working well instead of only what's not working.
- Use the same vocabulary: the definition of a lead might differ between marketing and sales so make sure everyone is on the same page for commonly used jargon.
- Encourage transparency: with CRM software widely used these days, marketing should have access to sales results themselves. Not to judge selling ability, of course, but to learn first hand what's working and what's not so they can further optimize.
- Commit to following up: true alignment will never be achieved if sales doesn't follow-up on every lead.