Real-world storage container prices from BuyerZone buyers
Whether you're going to use it for basic storage, a temporary workspace, or something more creative, a storage container is an inexpensive way to solve all kinds of problems. But what are typical storage container prices? We've surveyed thousands of our users who purchased and rented containers to help you learn exactly what you should expect to pay.
Want to get straight to the pricing examples? Jump to the section you want with the links below. Or read on for some helpful advice about the container industry.
- New storage container purchase prices
- Storage container rental prices
- Used storage containers pricing
Important update on availability
As of March 2012, the supply of storage containers available for rent or sale continues to be extremely limited. A combination of factors have led to fewer boxes being manufactured and fewer being sold off by the shipping companies that are primarily responsible for providing them to resellers in the US. As a result, prices have spiked -- if you can even find the container you want. Read more about storage container availability. Many of the prices listed below were collected before the shortage fully took effect, so they may not represent deals you can get today.
Storage containers can help you keep things safe and tucked away.
You'll have to decide whether you want to purchase or rent your storage container. Purchasing is worth the investment if you intend to keep the container for years, or abuse it to the point where you won't be able to return it in reasonable condition. Leasing or renting are better options if you only need a storage container for a short time, or you just want to spread out your payments.
Beyond the base price, one of the main costs you'll encounter is shipping. Shipping costs will depend primarily on your distance from the dealer, although if you choose an oversize container, you may have to pay extra due to the hassles of transporting them. If you're leasing a container, you'll pay both delivery and pick up charges. Other fees to keep in mind include additional doors, custom paint requests, and heavy-duty locks.
Another decision you'll have is whether to buy new or used. Many businesses buy new containers because they don't want to concern themselves over quality or wind up with a rusty old eyesore. However, used containers can often be refurbished to look like new and can even be customized with similar features for a lower price. Used containers should be carefully examined to make sure they're completely refurbished and not just freshly painted. Also keep in mind that even 'new' containers have some miles on them - they're manufactured in China and shipped here full to avoid the waste of shipping empty containers across the ocean.
Additional storage container pricing articles
New storage container purchase prices
- "$2,300 + modifications and delivery, which accounted for another $700." -- Attorney, Ellicott City, Maryland
- "Cost was appox. $4,400 including delivery. It has doors both ends and it's a standard 40' box."- Contractor, Milton, New Hampshire
- "I paid $5,327.10 that includes a 40 ft. container w/ (4) roll-up doors. Also included painting of container and (3) partitons." -- Construction Operator, Jackson, New Jersey
- "$2,503. Container $1,975, lock box $90, and delivery $225. Only bought 20' container."- Contractor, Seattle, Washington
- "$2,600 - 20' x 8' container, turbine, refresh paint job, delivery." -- Government Employee, Pearsall, Texas
- "$2,450/container, $171 for delivery per container." [4 containers] -- Education Facilities, Ashburnham, Massachusetts
- "$2,915 - 20' container, painted, rollup door, delivered." -- Lighting Installer, Mesa, Arizona
- "40' x 8' with 36 inch side - $5,820." -- Government Official, Scottsdale, Arizona
- "$1,800. We decided to go with an aluminum storage container that had a hard wood floor and plywood walls. It was a better fit for our storage needs than the steel storage container." -- Non-Profit Finance, South Dartmouth, Massachusetts
- "19 foot portable storage unit with an extra foot of height. Added a rolling door on the side of unit. Total with s/h and tax was $3000."- School, Chatsworth, California
- "$3,300 for a new 20' storage container delivered to my site." -- Business Services Provider, Eugene, Oregon
Storage container rental prices
- "$85 per month plus $85 delivery and $85 pick up when done, and $20.00 per month for pipe hangers."- General Contractor, Woburn, Massachusetts
- "40' container = $110 for 4 weeks, delivery $160, pick-up $160 and $10 for damage waiver. 20' container = $85 for 4 weeks, delivery $160, pick-up $160 and $10 for damage waiver."- Manufacturing, Brown City, Michigan
- "$275 for delivery & $275 for pick-up plus $100 per month rental fee. With a 6-month minimum."- Refrigeration Service, Gulfport, Mississippi
- "$75 per container per month, $160 delivered and $160 pick-up." [4 containers]- Country Club, Greenwich, Connecticut
- "$60/month plus tax as conditions of a long term rental plus delivery/removal charges. We purchased our own locks as they were not provided with the containers."- Environmental Agency, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts
- "$869 for (3) high cube 40' storage containers. Includes pickup/delivery charges, fuel surcharge, one month's rental of each unit."- Construction, Salt Lake City, Utah
- "$69 per month, min 3 months, and the real clincher ...free delivery and pick-up."- Masonry, Bloomsbury, New Jersey
- "20'x 8'x 8' onsite for < $75/month. I have the real estate to park it so that also makes it more convenient."Retailer, Woodbridge, Connecticut
- "Rental is $120/mo, plus $250/delivery and $250/pickup."- Construction, White Bear Lake, Minnesota
Used storage containers pricing
- "$2,960 - 40' x 8' x 8'6" used container - air and watertight - delivery & all taxes."- Agriculture, Maple Valley, Washington
- "$2,000 for used 40' high cube container. $600 for 6' roll up door. Delievery charge of $450 (100 miles).- Resort, Desert Hot Springs, California
- "48 foot container cost us $1600 in excellent shape. Delivery charge was $175. It was delivered on the date and time promised! Excellent company to deal with."- Business Services, Quogue, New York
- "$2,600 - Used 40 ft standard container. Free delivery."- Agriculture, Tucson, Arizona
- "$500 for basic, used unit."- Business Service Provider, Trumbull, Connecticut
- 8 x 40' container in good condition (it did have a 3" hole in the side near the base 1/4 of the way down on one side). $2,641 included container, tax & delivery.- Agriculture, Oxnard, California
- "Used 40' steel shipping container with double-swing doors on one end. $2,000 including tilt-bed delivery plus tax." - Advertising, Grand Prairie, Texas
- "$2,003 got us a 30' ft trailer delivered. Used, but in good shape."- Agriculture, Fresno, California
Want more information on choosing a storage container? Read our Storage Containers Buyer's Guide.
Information was provided by BuyerZone users. Quotes have been edited for clarity only.