Real-world Website Design Prices
We recently surveyed BuyerZone users to find out what they've been receiving for web site design price quotes. Provide below, are a collection of these responses.
While prices spanned a wide range - we saw responses ranging from $109 to over $20,000 - they seemed to fall into two main groups: basic informational web sites and more complex custom-designed, interactive web sites.
Basic informational sites incorporate your business images and copy. The designer may call it a "custom" web site, but you're primarily choosing colors and layouts from a range of styles they suggest. Web site design prices for these types of sites are most often between $300 and $800.
Sites with real customized designs or interactive features like Flash programming, database connections, or e-commerce are more expensive: $1,000 to $5,000 and up, depending on the size of the site and the complexity of the design and technical work.
You'll have to pay a hosting fee - $20 to $40 per month - to cover the bandwidth and operating costs of your site, and that may include a certain amount of updates and edits. If you plan to make frequent changes, be sure to ask how you'll be charged for those - or if you can make them yourself.
Basic, informational web sites prices
- "For the web page design I paid $500, and for the hosting I pay $39.99 per month. This is for a 10-page web site with everything included for a great site. The hosting covers search engines (18) and any changes needed as long as they host. " - Real Estate Agency, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
- "$499: 10-page custom web site, $29/month service fee, three email addresses." - Dentist's Office, Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
- "$250 package and $40 per. mo. hosting. A five-page custom site and layout with my company's logo and text." - Retailer, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- "Approximately $900. Included five pages, streaming video (2), custom design, hosting, e-mail, etc." - Video producer, Monrovia, Maryland
- "$595 for web site design and shopping cart. Plus an additional $150 for specialized moving banner. $59 per month for hosting service ... this included changes that need to be made or updated on the site monthly." - Retailer, Irwin, Pennsylvania
- "$699 web site design + $29/month hosting." - Travel service, Collegeville, Pennsylvania
- "$375 for 10 pages of info [and audio], $25 a month to host." - Entertainment services, Germantown, Maryland
Custom-designed or interactive web site prices
- "$1,500 for a full Flash site with picture gallery, slide shows, and morphing and enlarging functions." [No design work - just programming] - Design agency, Torrence, California
- "$5,400. web site development, logo development, web hosting, shopping cart, secure payment gateway." - Retailer, Richton Park, Illinois
- "$4,000 for a custom web site, plus $325 a month for a dedicated server." [interactive site where users post information] - Entertainment media company, Hermosa Beach, California
- "$3,425 - web site that met our requirements with lifetime updates." [Flash-based site with user uploads and e-commerce features.] - Publisher, Destin, Florida
- "$1,000. Database interface for daily maintenance and for client access; Flash intro; directory applications; navigational tutorial; custom design." - Advertiser, Sheffield, Alabama
- "The price for a redesigned web site was $2,300, which included hosting for a year, monthly updates, ownership of the website and a username and password for independent editing." - Business consultants, Hoboken, New Jersey
Want more information on choosing a website designer? Explore our Web Site Design Buyer's Guide.
Information was provided by BuyerZone users. Quotes have been edited for clarity only.Ready to Compare Website Design Price Quotes?