Real-world E-commerce Prices from BuyerZone Buyers
There are two main components to e-commerce pricing: initial development and ongoing hosting. Make sure you know the total costs before choosing a developer. To help you get an understanding of what price ranges you can expect to receive, we surveyed recent BuyerZone users and collected their responses below.
One main differentiator between a basic e-commerce site and one that needs a more robust system in place is the number of different stock-keeping units (SKUs) being sold. Stores with over 100 different products move into a slightly higher price range, as you'll see below. Also, you'll pay more for e-commerce shopping carts, which let visitors collect several items before checking out, than for direct purchasing sites that only conduct single item transactions.
Almost all basic e-commerce web sites support basic functions like secure transaction handling, order tracking, email invoicing, and sales tax calculations. Extra features like inventory management, catalog searches, multiple product options (color, size, etc), and integration with other systems will increase your total costs.
- Prices for Ecommerce sites with fewer than 100 products
- Prices for Ecommerce sites with more than 100 products
E-commerce sites with fewer than 100 products
- "$515 basic setup costs -- designing and building web site, enabling credit card purchases, soup to nuts. $59.99 a month hosting."
- Publisher, Rutherford, New Jersey
- "$999, $49.85 per month. E-commerce, email list, total 24 hr support. Direct contact with designer, emails, web support, etc."
- Health food retailer, Saint Petersburg, Florida
- "$549 plus $49 a month for hosting. Includes the web design and the shopping cart."
- Artist, Pearl River, New York
- "About $2,100 for logo designs, web site design, e-commerce services, hosting support."
- Church, Columbus, Ohio
- "$999 for custom web site design. $250 for custom data scripting."
- Non-profit organization, Sacramento, California
- "Package of $660 included the web page design, ability to access web page for changes, e-commerce shopping cart, etc. With a hosting fee of $12.95 per month."
- Children's book publisher, Los Angeles, California
- "$525 for web site and $49.99 per month for hosting."
- Jeweler, Los Angeles, California
E-commerce sites with more than 100 products
Most of these sites include advanced features like catalog searches, inventory management, and tools for bulk uploading of products.
- "We got everything we were looking for at around $7,500." [includes age verification and multiple designs]
- Tobacco retailer, League City, Texas
- "$2,500. Robust e-commerce site
with new logo design, QuickBooks compatibility, and extensive
customization to accommodate the details of the items being sold."
- Gift retailer, Acworth, Georgia
- "Approximately $1,100 for building a website with 600 products, domain name, and web hosting."
- Veterinary supplies store, Norfolk, Nebraska
- "$5,500. Includes development, design, and support."
- Auto retailer, Findlay, Ohio
- "$3,650 includes shopping cart software, web design, data import, technical support, free hosting for several months."
- Toy store, Ridgefield Park, New Jersey
Want more information on choosing an ecommerce provider? Read our Ecommerce Buyer's Guide.
Information was provided by BuyerZone users. Quotes have been edited for clarity only.Ready to Compare Ecommerce Website Design Price Quotes?