Automatic Standby Generators Will Protect Your Home From Electricity Outages
Installing an automatic standby generator in your home is an excellent idea. It brings with it peace of mind in case of a power disruption. This type of system switches on when there is a break in the circuit, thereby keeping the disruption to a minimum.
Depending on the level of protection you choose, a home generator will kick in automatically to provide electricity, heat, or cooling to your entire home, as well as any of the appliances or equipment in it, for the duration of the power interruption.
How an automatic generator works
The computer-operated system is connected to the home's wiring setup. It operates as a backup system that connects the generator to the house. When a disruption in the regular power supply is detected, the system starts the generator and switches the home power supply to the alternate power source. The whole process happens within 2 or 3 seconds in most cases. When regular power supply is restored, the standby generator reroutes the power to the utility provider and shuts down.
The type and size you select will be determined by your total power requirements. This level of power also affects the cost of the unit itself. Common sizes and their associated costs include:
|14 - 20||$2,900 - $5,800|
|20 - 30||$4,000 - $12,000|
|30 - 50||$9,300 - $22,000|
|50+||$14,000 - $29,000+|
Benefits of an automatic standby generator
There are a number of benefits to choosing this type of generator for your home:
- Lessens potential for danger. Trying to cope without power following a hurricane or other natural disaster can lead to accidents and injuries. Having a backup generator in place lessens the risk of harm while you wait for help to arrive.
- Permanent installation. The generator will detect a disruption in the regular power supply and take action within a few seconds to restore power to your home. You don't need to locate a portable generator, move it outside, and run extension cords into the house.
- Always on. The generator can ensure that you have power for essential appliances for refrigeration, cooking, heat, cooling, light, and security during the power interruption. You don't even need to be at home for the system to look after these important details.
- Safe operation. A professionally installed standby generator is a safe choice for you and your family. Portable units are not recommended for indoor use, due to the risk of deadly carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Constant fuel source. This type of generator will run off your home's natural gas supply, which means it does not have to be refilled. A portable generator would need to be refilled from time to time, and you would have to ensure that you had gas on hand to keep it going during a lengthy power outage.
Your home is important. Protect it and everything in it by investing in an automatic standby generator.Ready to Compare Home Generators Price Quotes?