Real-world T1 and DSL Internet Pricing
The two main varieties of Internet access for business are DSL and T1. DSL is less expensive, but can be less reliable and isn't as fast. T1 lines are usually backed by iron-clad uptime guarantees and can support many simultaneous users - but you'll pay for these advantages.
If you choose DSL, make sure the provider is offering sDSL - symmetrical DSL. This is much more suitable for businesses that need to upload data than the consumer-focused aDSL (asymmetrical DSL), which drastically limits upload speeds.
Any type of Internet service can carry an installation fee to get started, but at the high prices of T1 service you'll find many providers willing to waive the installation fee to get you to sign a contract. Don't wait for them to offer - ask when negotiating your fees. Other providers may throw in routers, long distance or local phone service, and other extras.
In order to give you an idea of what range of price quotes you can expect to receive, we surveyed recent users and collected their responses below:
- "DS1/T1 loop plus port $150 install, $399/month, fully programmed router included." - Nonprofit researcher, Sonoita, Arizona
- "Full T1 DIA $475/month, no install fee. Includes managed Cisco router w/1-year term." - Medical services provider, San Diego, California
- "2-year contract for $550 per month with full T1, router, 5 phone lines integrated, and private VPN." - Computer/IT products, Mckinney, Texas
- "$399/month, 6 phone lines and 1/2 T1 line, .03 per long distance minute." - Construction contractor, Lawrenceville, Georgia
- "$800 monthly inclusive, 24 month contract." - General contractor, Newport Beach, California
- "$406 a month for a full T1 line, using our own router (although we were offered a router.)" - HR staffing company, White River Junction, Vermont
- "T1 Internet services - $599 per month with IP addresses and managed router supplied, installation charges waived, and 1-year contract." - Health services provider, Mansfield, Louisiana
- "sDSL -- $79.99 per month." - Manufacturer, Hialeah, Florida
- "$599 installation (complete rebate); $129/month for IDSL." - Publisher, Joliet, Illinois
- "$235 monthly 1.1 Mb sDSL." - Real estate agency, Walnut Creek, California
- "sDSL - 384k up & 384k down - $104/month plus $599 one-time installation fee." - Logistics provider, Laredo, Texas
- "$199 installation - $199/mo - 1.1 megabit sDSL plus router." - Laboratory services, Silver Spring, Maryland
Want more information on choosing an internet access provider? Read our Internet Access Buyer's Guide.
Information was provided by BuyerZone users. Quotes have been edited for clarity only.Ready to Compare Internet Access Price Quotes?